Purposes for Instruction in Social
The Omaha Public Schools offers a
program of studies to help students achieve the following:
• Demonstrate civic responsibility in a democratic society.
• Respect individual and cultural diversity.
• Understand the connections of the past, present, and future
through the study of history.
• Develop an awareness of global resources, interdependence,
• Demonstrate knowledge and skills needed for lifelong
learning and informed decision-making.
• Recognize the importance of the democratic ideals of the
• Understand the individual's role in family, school,
community, state, nation, and world.
• Develop knowledge and skills related to physical and
The elementary grades explore the
Social Studies purposes from a developmentally appropriate perspective:
1 - grade: Family
2 - grade: Neighborhood
3 - grade: Community (Omaha)
4 - grade: Nebraska
5 - grade: United States
6 - grade: Ancient
Civilizations to Medieval Europe