The Omaha Public Schools Libraries enable students to be critical thinkers and effective users and producers of information through rigorous and relevant learning experiences that develop a lifelong love of reading and learning.
The Omaha Public Schools Libraries are active centers of learning where students and teachers, individually or in small groups or whole classes, are gathering information and using it creatively, exchanging ideas, and learning together and where school librarians lead learning experiences for staff and students that create new understandings and a love of reading.
The school librarian:
- Provides instruction which results in achievement of content standards in both information literacy and the classroom curriculum.
- Collaborates and exchanges ideas with teachers to facilitate teaching and learning.
- Supports classroom reading instruction and reading for personal and academic success.
- Provides equitable and timely access to organized and diverse collections of resources that support the curriculum and encourage staff and students to pursue personal interests.
- Provides a facility conducive to learning with access to technologies that enhance learning for students and staff.
- Supports teachers in their effective use of technology resources in the classroom and library media center.
- Develops partnerships with parents and community to foster a community of learners.
- Facilitates professional dialogue to support continuous improvement of instructional practice.