Sign the Principal's Go Green Pledge!
If you need a copy of the Principal's Go Green Pledge, you can download it by clicking here.
Please post your school's pledge and/or a picture of the pledge being signed to your school's web site.
- Shut down your computer/monitor at the end of the day
- Make sure all computers/monitors in the office are turned off at the end of the day
- Turn off your computer monitor if it will not be used for 20 minutes
- Turn off projectors if they will not be used for 15 minutes
- Turn off all lights when rooms are unoccupied
- Always shut off lights when leaving the room
- When there is adequate daylight, use only some of the lights in the room
- Unplug vampires! Certain electronics draw energy even when they are turned off
- Examples include televisions, DVD players, desktop printers, microwaves, cell phone chargers and coffee makers
- Save paper. Ask yourself: Do I really need to print?
- Send/save documents and emails electronically instead of printing and filing them
- If you do have to print, make sure you print double-sided (duplex printing)
- Establish a station to reuse paper that has only been printed on one side for scratch paper
- Send newsletters/announcements to only one student in each family
- Use a reusable lunch bag, silverware, and containers
- Bring a reusable water bottle and coffee mug to school
- Recycle paper, plastic, cardboard and aluminum
- Keep the Three Rs in mind: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
- When washing your hands, lather with soap before you turn the water on
- If you find a leaky faucet or a running toilet, report it to a custodian
- Only run the dishwasher in the teachers' lounge if completely full
- Walk, bike, or carpool to school
- Support your school's Green Team!
- Encourage students and staff to join your school's Green Team
- If your school does not have a Green Team, check out our Resources page and talk with staff and students about starting one
- Encourage staff to incorporate Green Curriculum lessons
- Direct students, staff, and parents to the GSI website