Contact Us

Dr. Beth Maloney

Teaching and Learning Consultant
Gifted and Talented Education - GATE

Office: 531-299-8552


Secretary:  531-299-0301

Services Senior High Level


Honors classes provide multiple opportunities for students to take greater responsibility for their learning. They are designed to demand more challenging involvement than standard courses, Honors classes are distinguished by quality of work expected rather than the quantity of work required:
  • Demand a higher level of cognition and quality of work
  • Enable students to become actively involved in classroom learning experiences
  • Involve students in exploratory, experimental, and open-ended learning experiences 
Students who take honors courses aspire to a higher level of learning. The courses are designed for students who have demonstrated an advanced level of interest and achievement.
Advanced Placement classes are approved by the CollegeBoard. College level courses are taught using college methodology, textbooks, expectations, assignments and tests. It is expected that students will take the AP exam at the conclusion of the course.
High Interest classes are available for students to explore individual interests. Every high school offers a unique variety of special interest classes. These courses can be selected as electives.
The following strategies and standards, supported by the Office of Gifted and Talented Education, ensure that students are offered a rigourous and releveant academic program.


      · Ensure that all students have access and the support necessary to take rigorous honors and advanced placement (AP) courses.
      ·  Ensure that K-12 students have the opportunity to master a challenging curriculum.
      ·  Professional development is available for staff including specialty training for Advanced Placement instructors
         ·  Vertical teaming enables teachers to collaborate to ensure seamless transitions
         ·  Differentiation of instruction is encouraged
         ·  Opportunities for non traditional students are available
· Opportunities for dual enrollment are available for qualifying students

Senior High Brochures 

Benson High                       Bryan High               Burke High

Central High                       North High                South High (English)

South High (Spanish)


High School Transition
Moving from the middle level to senior high is an exciting, yet challenging time. Students are entering an atmosphere where they are socially adapting into a microcosm of today’s society. Rigorous curriculum challenges students to reach above and beyond the status quo. Students will find their niche by capitalizing on their strengths. Interest opportunities can help develop student talent(s) such as in the areas of the arts, music, sports, leadership and creativity. Specialized classes are available before, during and after school. CATALYST is a new program developed around the unique intellectual, educational, social and emotional needs of gifted and talented high school students. Currently, CATALYST is only offered at Benson High School Magnet Center to 9th graders with the goals of developing positive peer relationships and expanding educational and career opportunities.

Differentiation in the area of academics at the senior high level is inclusive of specific course selections - student choice. Advanced Placement (AP) and Dual Enrollment (DE) classes are for those high ability students ready to expand their educational experience to the college level. Designated AP and DE classes are “credited” towards certain college programs. (Check with the receiving college or university if classes apply). A link to the College Board for further information is provided below.
The choices made at the senior high level will help students make decisions as to their post secondary school career. These changes can be daunting indeed. However, as we strive to encourage students to develop into an independent learner and make decisions based upon readiness and interest, our hope for them is to become young people of character and contributing members of our democratic society. 


Senior High Talent Opportunity
Opportunities exist outside the classroom which represent each of the five recognized areas of giftedness: leadership, visual and performing arts, creativity, academic, and intellectual.
Leaders have high expectations for themselves and others.  They are self-confident and exercise good judgment in decision-making.

     Student Government
     Student Ambassadors
     Club Leadership

Students who display talents in visual and performing arts exhibit the ability to express feelings and thoughts through art, dance, drama, and music.

     Music Ensembles
     Theater Arts Clubs
     Specialty Chorus Groups
Creative thinkers are independent, have a highly developed sense of humor, and easily generate several solutions to a given problem.

     Newspaper Staff
     Yearbook Staff
     Culinary Competitions

Opportunities abound at the high school level for students whose abilities require challenge and seek recognition for their academic achievements.

     National Honor Society
     Academic Decathlon
     Chess Club
     Rotary Club Scholars

*Note that talent opportunities will vary at each school.  Click on the links below to see which opportunities are available at each high school.


Senior High School Websites
Benson Senior HIgh
Bryan Senior High
  Burke Senior High
Central Senior High
North Senior High
Northwest Senior High
South Senior High


Will my future university accept my AP credit?

As an Advanced Placement student, it is important to obtain accurate information to answer the question "Will a university of choice accept my AP credit?"  Ask admissions representatives this very question during your junior year or the fall of your senior year.  Do not wait until spring of your senior year to ask questions.  Often students hear inaccurate second or third-hand information about university policies regarding AP credit.  The College Board has links to many universities' web sites AP Credit Policy page.  

The College Board website is:

How much does it cost to take an AP Exam?

As in the past two years, the cost is $89 per exam.  The State of Nebraska has a High Ability Learner grant that greatly reduces the cost for students who qualify for the Federal Lunch Program (free or reduced lunch). Qualifying students should contact their corresponding coordinator.

What if I am not sure if I am prepared to take the exam?

There are several good indicators of how well you might perform on an exam. Your coursework and achievement level at your school is the best predictor of your potential success.

Should I send in a deposit even if I’m not sure?


Students should consult with their AP instructor as the deposit deadline nears.  If you are still undecided on paying by the deposit deadline day, it is recommended to pay the non-refundable deposit (avoiding the College Board late fee) to ensure that an exam is available if you later decide to take the exam.  

Students who pay the nonrefundable deposit, but later decide to not take an exam, should notify the school’s AP coordinator about their decision.  No deposits can be refunded, as the College Board charges participating Senior High Schools for unused exams.


What is the timeline for registering and taking an AP exam?

 *Note: Please check with your student’s Senior High AP coordinator for specific dates. Dates and times may vary at each Senior High School.

Late February prior to AP Course:  Homeroom to distribute registration materials to students that qualify for AP coursework.

May prior to Fall AP Course:  Some AP teachers may contact registered students for AP course(s) summer assignments. To be sure, ask your AP teacher.

Late March prior to Fall AP Course:  Senior High School course registration


August:  Begin AP course.

October:  In most cases, information is provided to parents through the student’s Senior High School Newsletter. Check with your AP coordinator.

End of January: Deadline to contact your participating Senior High coordinator regarding the need for testing accommodations.  See for information about this process. 

January or early February:  “Bulletin for AP Students and Parents” distributed to current AP students.
Mid-February:  AP Exam registration information distributed to students and posted on their Senior High web site.
Mid-February:  Students who qualify for Fee Reduction receive notification from participating Senior High AP Coordinator. 

Late-February:  OPS Advanced Placement Program honors-level student receives information distributed to each honors-level student, grades 9 through 11.

Early March:  Deadline for qualifying students to request Fee Reduction.  (Free and reduced lunch automatically qualify for the fee reduction if they submit the non-refundable deposit)  

Mid-March: Deadline for all students to submit non-refundable deposit for each AP exam
Late March:  Students receive confirmation letter noting deposit(s) paid, exam registrations, amount due, and test schedule.

Mid-April:  Late fee deadline for any student wishing to register for an exam (non-refundable deposit, plus a $50 late fee assessed by the College Board)

Late April:  Students receive reminder letter from AP coordinator notating report time, room location, and amount due.

Day of Exam: Deadline to turn in balance due for exam.

Mid-July following exam: Results sent to students (and university, if requested)

Mid-October following exam:  AP Scholars announced by the College Board

What if I need special accommodations for the AP Exam?

The College Board encourages all students who are willing to accept the challenge of a rigorous academic curriculum to be considered for AP courses and exams.    Students with documented disabilities may be eligible for accommodations on an AP Exam.  These accommodations include extended time, nonstandard-format exams, permission to use certain Braille devices, and/or a sign language interpreter to give directions.  An Eligibility Form must be submitted for each student requesting accommodations. Coordinators may not provide testing accommodations for students with disabilities until the College Board has approved the Eligibility Forms. Therefore, please submit requests for special accommodations by early to mid January.

When and where are the AP Exams?


Start and release times are dictated by The College Board.  Click here for the most recent update for exam times and room locations at your student’s senior high. 

For a timeline from the College Board, go to:


For a timeline specific to your Senior High: 
Either call or go to their website. of senior high)


What is an AP Scholar?

The Designation of AP Scholar by the College Board recognizes students for their exceptional achievement on the college-level Advanced Placement Program Exams. The College Board recognizes several levels of achievement based on student's performance on AP Exams. 


National AP Scholar is the highest honor bestowed by the College Board.  Students qualify by earning an average grade of at least 4.0 on 8 or more exams.

AP Scholar with Distinction is one of the highest honors bestowed by the College Board.  Students qualify by earning an average grade of at least 3.5 on all AP Exams taken, and grades of 3 or higher on five or more of these exams.  


AP Scholar with Honor requires an average grade of at least 3.25 on all AP Exams taken, and grades of 3 or higher on four or more of these exams.  

The AP Scholar Award is bestowed on students completing three or more AP Exams, with grades of three or higher.  Students honored as juniors, with AP college-level work this year, can earn another AP Scholar Award their senior year.


What Universities accept AP Credit


Most universities and colleges have granted (with approved transcripts) credit and/or upper-level placement to students entering with successful AP Exam scores since the1950’s.

Please be aware of the recent trend for some colleges to assess a fee ($10 - $75 per course) to first year college students for translating their successful AP exam to qualifying course(s) (official transcript) for college records. Regardless, the total cost for the AP Exam and fee remains less than the costs and fees associated with the course taken through the university.

The College Board has links to many universities' web sites AP Credit Policy page. Though not comprehensive, that site is   
Regional and Local University AP Credit and course equivalencies
University of Nebraska - Lincoln:


Creighton University: Advising/AdvancedPlacement/tabid/461/Default.asp


Advanced Placement Scholars

The AP Program offers several AP Scholar Awards to recognize high school students who have demonstrated college-level achievement through AP courses and exams. Although there is no monetary award, in addition to receiving an award certificate, this achievement is acknowledged on any AP Grade Report that is sent to colleges the following fall. 

AP Scholar Award Requirements

AP Scholar Granted to students who receive grades of 3 or higher on three or more AP Exams.


AP Scholar with Honor Granted to students who receive an average grade of at least 3.25 on all AP Exams taken, and grades of 3 or higher on four or more of these exams.


AP Scholar with Distinction Granted to students who receive an average grade of at least 3.5 on all AP Exams taken, and grades of 3 or higher on five or more of these exams.


AP State Scholar Granted to the one male and one female student in each

U.S. state and the District of Columbia with grades of 3or higher on the greatest number of AP Exams, and then the highest average grade (at least 3.5) on all AP Exams taken.


National AP Scholar Granted to students in the United States who receive an average grade of at least 4 on all AP Exams taken, and grades of 4 or higher on eight or more of these exams

Advanced Placement (AP)
classes are designed to provide an appropriate level of instruction commensurate to students’ ability and for “credit” opportunities for college and university programs.

* If you have further questions, please contact your Advanced Placement Senior High School coordinator or click on the link below.

Click on a corresponding
image to access
information regarding
Advanced Placement Programs.


Dual Enrollment (Concurrent Enrollment)

Click for additional information    or    Dual Enrollment
Click to view Virtual Brochure


1.  What is Dual Enrollment?  Dual Enrollment (DE) (Concurrent Enrollment) allows academically talented students to earn transcript college credit while still at an Omaha Public Schools Senior High. Since the 2004-05 school year, the University of Nebraska-Omaha and the Omaha Public Schools have partnered to provide this opportunity to students. Certain Advanced Placement courses taught at your student’s Senior High School are included in the DE program. Omaha Public Schools staff members have been selected by UNO to be adjunct faculty. For more background information and details from UNO, visit


2.  Why should my student enroll as a DE student?  Besides costing less than 1/4 of the actual tuition and fees for the same course at UNO, DE provides the opportunity to earn college credit with a grade, while still in high school.  As an underclassman, senior high students can demonstrate that they have succeeded at a high level in rigorous, accredited college course(s). With college credits earned in high school, as a new college student, students have the opportunity to have more time to pursue college courses for a double major, graduate from college early, or slightly lessen their course-load.
3.  What UNO courses correspond to Dual Enrollment courses? Check your student’s Senior High for details or go to
4.  My student has been accepted into the school of engineering.  How would I go about discovering if these credits would transfer?
Some universities have a general statement that states the university policy on transfer of credit (See for links).  Credit is generally accepted if attending a school in the University of Nebraska system (the exception is AP World History/UNO World Civilization). However, at some out-state universities, we have discovered that some dual credit courses transfer as a general education credit, rather than to a course that is required within a student's planned major.  I recommend that you contact the university's Admissions Representative to verify that the UNO credit will transfer into a specific program. 
5.  My student is not planning on attending UNO.  Is there a way to check with other universities to see if they accept DE?
Yes. Generally, universities that accept AP exams will accept DE credit.  See for links to view specific university policies. If your student plans to attend a school in Nebraska, the credit is generally accepted. If your son/daughter is planning to attend an Ivy League school, Duke, Northwestern (IL), Stanford, or majoring in the subject area of the DE course, Dual Enrollment credit may not be accepted. At some universities, students in one college may obtain credit, but students in another college may not. Parents and students are encouraged to contact admissions representatives at schools where students are planning to attend in order to receive a definitive answer.   If you are having a difficult time receiving clarification, please contact your student’s senior high representative for assistance.
6.  Is there additional work for my student if they decide to participate in DE? Not for the student. The teacher has an additional piece of record keeping as grades must be submitted to both the participating senior high and UNO.  The curriculum and expectations follow the College Board/Advanced Placement guidelines.
7.  Does my student have to go to the UNO campus?  No. DE courses are taught by an Omaha Public School staff member at participating senior high schools as a part of the AP course program. DE students, however, will have expanded access to the UNO library, with the ability to check out books, materials, and utilize far more resources than non Dual Enrollment senior high students.
8.  Do students have to take the AP Exam in May?  Yes, it is the expected that dual enrollment students take the AP Exam.  The fee you pay to UNO covers all course fees, "tuition", and the cost of the AP exam.  Credit based on Dual Enrollment and the AP Exam will depend on the school he/she eventually attends. Some universities require an AP score of 3, 4 or higher. UNO has granted credit for a grade of C or higher.   In the case of UNO and the AP World History course, the AP Exam score of 3, 4, or 5 accounts for World Civilization 1 and Dual Enrollment accounts for World Civilization 2.  Contact the admissions representative at your future university for a more information.
9.  Why are only a few AP classes involved in Dual Enrollment?  As the DE Program continues to evolve through the University, the decision to participate in DE is determined by each department at UNO. Some departments, such as English, worked for two years to develop a course to align with the AP curriculum for 2006-07.  In addition, to qualify as a DE course, the senior high instructor must be approved as an adjunct faculty member at UNO. 
10.  Why does my class have to wait until January to apply for DE?  Each AP course’s content must align with a similar course in the UNO course catalog. For record keeping purposes, some courses apply in the fall semester and some in the spring semester.
11.  What if I earn a grade lower than a C in my DE class?  Any grade a student earns in a dual enrollment class will be transferred to the student's UNO transcript "as is" and will count in the student's college GPA (If one earns an A in the DE course, the college GPA would start as a 4.0; a D in a DE course would result in a college GPA of 1.0).  However, only grades of "C" or higher will count towards graduation at the University of Nebraska at Omaha.
12.  What if I apply then decide to not take the class as DE?  Once you apply for DE, you agree that, if accepted, you will pay the $225 fee.  Students who feel, at mid-term, that their grade would hinder their college GPA must notify UNO to withdraw by November 9th (for fall semester) or March 28th (for spring semester).  A "W" would appear on the college transcript (not factored into GPA) and no money would be refunded.  Please contact Kelly Malone at UNO for procedures to withdraw ( or 554-3810). Students who withdraw from DE would remain in the AP course at their senior high school then take the AP exam in May.
13. Does the Dual Enrollment application count for regular admission to UNO?   No. If a student plans to attend UNO after high school, a regular Application for Undergraduate Admission must be completed and the application fee must be paid. Undergraduate applications are available on the UNO web page at or at your high school Guidance Office. In order to be considered for UNO scholarships, a student must have the application submitted by February 1st.
14.  What do I need to do to let my university know about my Dual Enrollment credits through UNO?  Students attending UNO after high school will have the courses appear on their UNO transcript.  Students attending any other university (including UNL and UNK) after graduating from high school need to follow transfer credit procedures.  Typically, once enrolled as a full-time college student, you will need to request an official transcript from UNO be sent to your university's registrar's office. Detailed instructions from UNO are found at
    • What is Dual Enrollment?
    • Why should my student enroll as a DE student?
    • What UNO courses correspond to OPS classes?
    • My student has been accepted into the school of engineering.  How would I go about discovering if these credits would transfer?
    • My student is not planning on attending UNO.  Is there a way to check with other universities to see if they accept DE?
    • Is there additional work for my student if they decide to participate in DE? 
    • Does my student have to go to the UNO campus 
    • Do students have to take the AP Exam in May 
    • Why are only a few AP classes involved in Dual Enrollment? 
    • Why does my class have to wait until January to apply for DE? 
    • What if I earn a grade lower than a C in my DE class? 
    • What if I apply then decide to not take the class as DE? 
    • Does the Dual Enrollment application count for regular admission to UNO 
    • What do I need to do to let my university know about my Dual Enrollment credits through UNO?