Mensaje de Marque Snow, Presidente de la Junta
On Monday, Feb. 6 the Board of Education approved the contract of Dr. Cheryl Logan to be the next superintendent of Omaha Public Schools. She will begin her position on July 1, 2018.
The OPS Board of Education selected Dr. Cheryl Logan as the next leader of the largest school district in Nebraska. The decision was made during a special board meeting held Tuesday, Jan. 30. Logan comes to OPS from the School District of Philadelphia, in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania where she currently serves as Chief Academic Officer, responsible for the academic achievement of more than 135,000 students. “I am honored to be selected as the next leader of the largest school district in Nebraska and I am committed to promoting and sustaining student achievement, equity and access to educational programming for all students,” said Logan.
Logan has spent her career in education working in school districts with large immigrant populations from around the world, including with students from significant English language learner populations.
She has previously served in the following roles:
• Assistant Superintendent – Philadelphia Public Schools
• Elementary Principal – Prince George’s Public Schools and Howard County Public Schools, Maryland
• High School Principal – Prince George’s Public Schools
• Foreign Language Instructor – Prince George’s Public Schools, Maryland
• English for Speakers of Other Languages Instructor – Prince George’s Public Schools, Maryland
She holds a Bachelor of Science Degree from the University of Maryland, a Master of Education Degree from John Hopkins University and a Doctorate of Education Degree from the University of Pennsylvania.
Click here to view her career profile.
The Board will immediately enter negotiations with Logan and work to finalize the details of the contract within the next few weeks. The details of the contract will be shared once they are available. The transition period will commence once the contract is finalized. Current Superintendent Mark Evans’ contract runs through June 30, 2018.
Here's an overview of what's happened regarding the superintendent search to date:
• On Monday, Aug. 7, the Board of Education voted on a recommendation to reissue the request for proposal for a new superintendent search firm.
• The Superintendent Search Committee recommended reissuing the request for proposal (RFP) for superintendent search consulting services on Aug. 8 with a close date of Aug. 15.
• On Monday, Aug. 21 the Board of Education voted to authorize the Superintendent Search Committee (Snow, Goding, Holman, Perlman and Casady as alternate) to enter into contract negotiations with Ray and Associates.
• On Wednesday, Sept. 6, the Board of Education passed a contract for Ray and Associates, a school executive search firm, to begin the new superintendent search process.
• In September, the application for Superintendent opened.
• On Jan. 5 the application for Superintendent closed.
• On Jan. 14 board members met to review applications, and screen candidates.
• On Jan. 23, following an extensive review of the qualifications and work experiences of the 74 candidates who applied for the position, the most qualified candidates were thoroughly screened and recommended to the board by Ray and Associates. The top two candidates were: Dr. Cheryl Logan and Mr. Harrison Peters.
• On Jan. 30, the top two finalists had a public meet and greet session and public interviews by the Board of Education. After public interviews, a new Superintendent was selected.
Following each Board of Education meeting, the Office of District Communications recaps the board meeting in the Board Digest. Click here to see the latest updates, including the latest information regarding the superintendent search.
Marque Snow, Board President (Superintendent Search Committee Chair)
Lacey Merica, Vice President
Omaha Public Schools is committed to sharing information on the superintendent search process,
as well as getting your input and feedback.