Welcome back to Tech High!
When Technical High School opened in 1923, it was the largest school west of Chicago and was thought to be the best equipped. The school served the community for six decades before closing in 1984.
The original lobby, which has been preserved, is an elegant structure of polished marble and ornate moldings. View a panorama of the renovated lobby using QuickTime. (Both load into new windows.)
The main entrance to the building is now on the east side. Stone steps to a former second story entrance were removed and a new first floor entrance was built for easier access.
A three story atrium is featured inside the east entry. Architects used the high ceilings in the two original gymnasiums to create two floors of office space in this area.
Help Us Preserve Tech's Heritage
A campaign is underway to renovate the acoustically authentic auditorium, which was designed to seat 2,060.